Sunday, February 12, 2012

Lesson's Learned

3:00 am Mountain Time, February 3, 2012: Laido & I were stumbling around for our snow gear. Our car was already buried in 8 inches of the fluffy white stuff and the snow was still coming down.  Dazed, I groped for my beloved coffee - my savior after another near sleepless night of coughing.  According to the United Airlines website, my flight out of town was miraculously on-time!
3:30 pm Central Time: After two flights and a small layover, I stepped off the plane in sunny Puerto Vallarta, Mexico while my hometown was blanketed with 18 inches of heavy, wet snow.  Laido, stuck at home with all the kids due to the snow day; I, breathed my first tropical breath of the south.  My lungs began to heal immediately as I acclimated to my new environment almost immediately.


Traversing southwest Mexico for just a few days on a mini vacation/business trip, I had a full agenda, first things first - street tacos! I was sent to gather pictures, information and a feel for the new La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Nayarit, Mexico for a website I am building for my mom’s Inn.  I hadn’t visited in many years due to trials in the north. The place had changed…a lot!  Still, this was nothing like work and more like relaxation for research.


I did learn some valuable lessons on my journey; first, little white Chihuahua’s need to wear sweaters n 81© degree weather because they get cold.  My mom’s adorable little bundle of joy, Samantha or Sammy for short, has a vast array of fashions to fit any occasion, but she is not only out to dress to impress, but for comfort on the chilly days in paradise.  She loves the boys of La Cruz, but has her heart set on one handsome cutie, she hopes to woo with her charming ways.


Secondly, I learned nude male sunbathers get rather offended when beautiful women walk past them more than once and give them no recognition.  This is especially true when one of the women walks right up to their patch of beach to fetch their curious puppy, takes a glance and has no reaction whatsoever.  The poor fellow was left standing on the beach, hands on his hips, utterly baffled by the idea that his unit did not bring an ounce of emotion from anger to admiration. (Sorry, no pic for this one!)
Perhaps I should stick to writing!
Thirdly, I learned I really stink at running a video camera.  Video does not focus as quickly as the eye.  Too short of video was worse than too much because I could not edit what I did not have. Also, I never checked the quality of my video until after I arrived home from my fabulous vacation which was quite discouraging.


Lastly, I learned I have another home in Mexico.  I had never really taken this information into my consciousness before this trip, but from the first “Welcome Home” upon my arrival, the truth began to set in.  My mom built an incredible four story Mexican Inn in the booming and breathtaking town of La Cruz.  Only blocks from an incredible beach and new marina; this place was a paradise incorporating both the old and the new.  I loved the people, the places, the food, and yes, even the local dogs, which is a blog all its own.  I experienced so much in my short visit; I breathed in each moment as a breath of fresh air.  I took the entire area into my heart and it sent off a warm, homey glow.

I learned my mom and I are not that different.  We both share similar quirks and a love for nature, art and beauty.  We are both quite content with very little, but our extravagances we deeply cherish.  We are both incredibly strong, determined women with a huge capacity to love.  I am so grateful to have been blessed with my mom and all she has bestowed upon me. As a friend of hers rightfully remarked, “She got a good one!”


p.s. If you like what you read, please join my blog and send it to your friends.  I’d love to hear your comments both positive and constructively negative.  Thank you

2 comments:

Red Brown said...

Love the pictures and that you got away for some R&R and got to catch up with your mom. I would have loved to see the reaction of those nude dudes on the beach. Wouldn't it be funny if you went up to them and said, " Oh dear, I think you forgot something and hand them a little washcloth from your mom's inn." That would really prick their pride.

Unknown said...

The inn sounds fabulous. I think we should arrange a writers retreat there.

The ego of guys! Most grown women have seen it, most are unimpressed unless it's something spectacular (which most are not), and Heaven forbid they should get a big head! Lol!

I'm so happy that you've connected to your second home in Mexico, that you were able to relax and enjoy your mom's company.

The article is very engaging. Your pictures are fabulous, and so are you!

Robin