Sunday, April 22, 2012

Optimism

Optimism: The doctrine, or belief, that everything is beautiful, including what is ugly, everything good, especially the bad, and everything right that is wrong.
        
Ambrose Bierce
Kyler's Optimism - I'm Awesome, why don't you get it?
I got a good chuckle when I read this quote on my Google Home Page.  I am an optimist and to keep myself from wallowing in the mire, I am sure I have tried to think this way just to keep from falling into the pit of pessimism.  “Good” things come with great trials, frustrations and lessons and it takes a positive attitude to keep moving through them.  Hindsight is 20/20.  Looking back on the events of my life, I can truly say it was all good and for my growth and upliftment, but in the midst of the struggle, it just plain stinks and I can not wait to be free from its hold.

Kegan's 16 Year Old Optimism - My teachers are out to ruin my life!
I’ll use marriage as a perfect example.  When I met my husband and we began dating, our relationship was flowery and giddy.  He appeared to be the answer to all my prayers and no matter the obstacle, we would overcome.  We were strong, optimistic and crazy in love.  (Yes, I do fully mean insane - for the mind cannot think clearly with the biological forces at work in a fresh, new relationship.)  As we faced the challenges of family, finances, personality traits, leftover baggage from the past, all the schmaltzy love disappeared.  Like sandpaper on weathered wood, we scraped against one another with painful realities of the truth of our nature.  I just wanted to get away from the situation; it seemed to be a disaster.  As we accepted the fact we were stuck together because there was no escape, we began to work together, forgive and listen.  The rough, splintered boards have transformed into a work of art.  Not to say the work is done, but the renovation on us was well worth the effort and I am a better person for forging on and I believe my husband is as well.

Perhaps the trails in my life really are all good though they may have been caused by my own foolish choices, the final result is something quite beautiful to behold.  I remember the common, yet wise cliché, “This too shall pass” because it will and I have the opportunity to grow from it if I choose.

Let me know if you can relate or if you disagree.  I love reading your comments, for they too smooth my rough edges.

Jody

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, I can totally relate, especially the marriage part! I divorced my husband over 15 yrs ago and then we decided to get back together and re-marry. I am so glad that we did, now it's better than ever. We grew up and are best friends and actually listen to each other. I wouldn't have it any other way!

Unknown said...

Do you know my mother? Lol! She would quote some of these same things and still, to this day, she says 'this too shall pass.'

I definitely relate, except the more I stay in my situation the more stuck I feel. I think I'm learning that I would be best on my own. We'll see what happens. Stay tuned...

Even though I feel like I'm swimming against the current (story of my life) I remain optimistic...that everything is as is should be at the moment. I believe things happen for a reason...preordination or whatever you want to call it. I can't wallow in the mire, when I believe it's a path that will make me stronger.

Robin

Red Brown said...

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

~William Arthur Ward

Jody Romero said...

Chandra, I love you quote - so appropriate!

Jody Romero said...

Robin,

No one knows your path but you and you know the way that is best. Trust yourself and know yourself. You are doing great!